• About Us

  • The Bayville Fire Company was formed in 1922.  Before the creation of the local fire company, equipment and manpower had to be dispatched from Glen Cove, Locust Valley and Oyster Bay.  When the Arlington Hotel was destroyed by fire one early morning of November 1922, approximately 50 young men circulated a petition within the Village of Bayville to form a fire company. The Board of Trustees of the village approved the formation and sent formal papers to the Secretary of New York State in Albany for a Charter.  Edward J. Lazansky, Justice of the Supreme Court, signed the Certificate of Incorporation and consent that the name is filed on December 21, 1922.

    Originally, the fire company meetings were held in different stores throughout the Village. The first two pieces of apparatus and equipment were kept in two separate garages, one on the north side of Bayville Avenue and the other on the northwest corner of Quincy and Bayville Avenues, until the original firehouse could be erected. In 1923, the original membership supplied the labor themselves to build a 24' x 32' wood panel building at a cost of approximately $800. This building would sit on what is now the corner of Jackson and Bayville Avenue adjacent to our current firehouse. The property would span 100' of Bayville Avenue and be purchased at a cost of $4,000.

    Funding this endeavor was obtained by numerous personal contributions of local residents, including the volunteer firemen and by holding various activities such as boxing bouts, tag days, moonlight ails, dances, bazaars, clambakes, cake sales, and suppers.

    In 1923, the Fire Company had two pieces of fire apparatus, which in those days were considered hose wagons. The first ambulance would be purchased in 1941 from the World's Fair. The Ladies Auxiliary was established in 1923, and throughout the years has aided the Fire Company in fundraising efforts as well as providing refreshments for the members during and after major alarms.

    In 1924, the Mayor of Bayville Winslow Pierce and the Village Board established a formal contract for fire protection with the Bayville Fire Company. Water mains and fire hydrants were installed throughout the Village in 1925. In 1927, the Village of Centre Island entered into an agreement for fire protection with the Bayville Fire Company, and the portion of Mill Neck that is protected today was added in 1965.

    Plans to construct a new firehouse were drawn up for a wood-framed, yellow stucco, Spanish style building with a red tile roof in January 1929. The front of the building had three large entrance doors for the apparatus, plus the main entrance to the auditorium constructed over a large finished basement.  Members and residents worked for hand in hand to complete this project on November 15, 1929, with a major portion of the labor contributed by them. This would be what is the main section of the firehouse as it stands today.

    The firehouse over the years has served as a central entertainment facility as well as a place of elections for the community. During World War II, the building was used as a Civilian Defense Center. Also, over its history, it has been a central management tool in defense of many coastal storms as well as a place of refuge for storm victims. When organized, there were 101 members while currently there are 144 members of the Exempts Association.

    In March 1976, the fire company acquired the adjacent property at the corner of Quincy and Bayville Avenues. Short term this would provide better parking for the members and eventually play a major role in the current expansion of the facilities.

    In November 1988, a renovation was completed to better utilize the interior space of the firehouse. Part of this renovation led to a more efficient set of utilities as well as the brick finish that currently decorates the firehouse.

    In March 1998, a 3,800 square foot addition was erected to the original firehouse to house any special equipment such as rescue boats and a 3,500-gallon tanker. This fireproof addition will add more space for safety when the members turn out for alarms.

    Mutual aid has played a vital role in the Bayville Fire Company's history. We have long-standing agreements with the Locust Valley Fire Department, the Atlantic Steamer Fire Company, the Oyster Bay Fire Company and all other Fifth Battalion Departments that Bayville has been involved in some major mutual aid assignments in recent history. In 1990, Bayville Ambulance 506 was one of the first called to assist at the Avianca Airlines crash in Cove Neck. In 1992, the community of Bayville would require its own mutual aid assistance due to a powerful Nor'easter. The Bayville Fire Company would receive a Unit Citation from the Nassau County Fire Commission for its heroic efforts. This incident would require assistance from 26 other Fire Departments.  Most recently, the Fire Company took part in the largest mutual aid incident in New York State history. In 1995, the BFC would spend the better part of two days assisting Suffolk Departments in battling the "Sunrise Fires". This was an incident that would test every department on Long Island.

    Over the years, the Fire Company competed locally in bobsled races, baseball games, horseshoe contents, billiards, and shuffleboard events. Today, they are active in competitions of bowling, Old Fashioned Tournament events, and softball.  The drill team, today is known as the "Oak Neckers", has won the Battalion competition various times in the sixties and seventies. The softball team enjoyed its success in the eighties and nineties winning 14 straight league championships over those two decades, During that time, the ball team has placed second in New York State twice and won four Long Island Championships. During the early nineties, the team won the right to compete in a National Championship in Princeton, NJ. Today, we continue to participate in these events whenever possible.

    Members of the Fire Company have always played active roles in other Firematic Organizations. Ex-Chief James Sanseverino and Ex-Chief Cosmo Strigaro were two of the most respected and well-known members who have risen through the ranks of a local, county and state level. The ball fields at the Firemen's Home in Hudson, NY are dedicated in memory of Ex-Chief Strigaro, as the State Softball Championships carry his name as well. Today, our members carry on the great tradition of being involved with many organizations.

    Bayville is an active participant in the following organizations:

    • Fifth Battalion Chief's Organization

    • Southern New York Volunteer Firemen's Assoc.

    • Nassau County Firemen's Association

    • Firemen's Assoc. of the State of New York

    • North Shore Fire Council

    • New York State Assoc. of Fire Chiefs

    • Nassau County Fire Chief's

    • Council Fifth Battalion District

    • Nassau County Fire Commission